Soul Café invites you to join us once again as we come together to raise funds to support the homeless and vulnerable in our community. Sleepout for Soul is our big yearly fundraising event where 100 per cent of cash raised provides meals, food care packages and other essential services for our guests.
After the success of last year’s socially-distanced efforts, you can now choose how you take part. Grab your friends, family, workmates and a swag and bed down with fellow fundraisers at the main event. Or participate virtually via livestream from your backyard, lounge room, balcony, school or office.
However you choose to sleep out and support us, expect a great night of connection, engagement and fun! Together we can make a huge difference.
WHEN? Friday 21st May
WHERE? Bolton St car park or virtually
HOW TO REGISTER
In 2 easy steps, you will be on your way to supporting Soul Cafe!
- STEP 1: Register for Sleepout - you have 2 options, you can either register to sleep in the car park at Bolton St or at your own location!
- STEP 2: Set up your fundraising page - you can set up your individual page plus you can set up or join a team.
If you would like to create a group, for example, a collection of teams within your school or sporting club please email email@example.com. Teams can then all register under the group and work together or compete to raise money for Soul.
DOWNLOAD THE MEDIA PACK
To help your fundraising we've produced some posters and social media tiles that you can use to tell others that you're getting involved. Download the media pack
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON THE NIGHT
Hi Soul Sleepers,
It’s getting closer to the biggest night of the year, Sleepout 2021, and I hope you are all just as excited as we are here at Soul Café. Below is an update on what will be happening on the night so you don't miss out on any of the activities.
The Virtual Sleepout will begin at 6pm and will be hosted by Nick, Jess & Ducko from Hit 106.9. The live stream will be on Soul’s Facebook page for 3 hours and will include interviews, live music and prizes to be won! We'd love you to share where you're sleeping and post pics to the tile on our Facebook page on the night.
BOLTON ST CARPARK
For those of you joining us in the Bolton St Carpark, the main thing is to arrive early to get your sleeping area set up, and then you can get involved and mingle with everyone over the course of the night. Whether you wish to do a little or a lot, there will be something for everyone.
ARRIVAL & CHECK-IN
Discounted overnight parking is available between 6pm and 8am – arrive after 6pm Friday and leave before 8am Saturday for only $5 (which will be donated back to Sleepout). Arrive or leave outside that period and standard commercial parking rates apply.
On arrival please check-in at the Rego tent on Level 8 before setting up.
Need a little extra warmth on the night? Our brand new Soul Hoodies will be for sale at the Soul Info tent for $50.
Below we have provided a program of the key times on the night (at Bolton St Carpark):
6pm | Arrive, Register and set up your sleeping area
6pm – 7.15pm | Food van, coffee cart, music by Crocq & more
7.15pm – 7.45pm | Welcome Speech (by Soul CEO Rick Prosser)
7.45pm – 9.45pm | Tours of Soul Café (with dessert and more)
8.15pm – 9.45pm | Fire pits, competitions, raffle, prizes, complimentary supper, giant Jenga, music by Crocq & more
10pm | End of formal activities
CATWALK IN THE CARPARK
- Follow Soul Café on Instagram
- Take a snap in your sleepout pyjamas (or similar). Get creative!
- Post on Instagram with the hashtag #2021sleepoutforsoul
One Sleeper will be selected at random to win a wonderful prize from our donors, so dress to impress!
WHAT TO BRING
- Swag, Sleeping bag, Doona, Blanket, Small Mattress, etc
- Whatever you will be comfortable to sleep in (eye mask, PJs, very very warm clothes!)
- Cash (for raffles, Food trucks, auctions)
- Foldup Chair
- Drinks, nibbles and snack food
Other relevant information:
- Sleepers are welcome to bring alcohol to enjoy sensibly on the night.
- For those who wish to smoke, there will be a designated smoking area on Level 6.
- We also kindly ask that you do not bring dogs, pets, bikes, skateboards, ball games etc, to Sleepout for the safety of others.
- Both permanent (and portable) toilet facilities are on-site and easily accessible by lift. Children should be accompanied by an adult.
- Security Guards will be on patrol at Sleepout 6pm till 6am. Personal possessions are the participants' responsibility. Children must be supervised by a parent or guardian at the event.
- Please use rubbish & recycling bins provided.
- To report a concern, hazard or incident at Sleepout please contact Matt 0403 924 812 or approach a Soul Team member (wearing an orange vest).
Thank you for Sleeping out for Soul. Together we have already raised more than an amazing $70,000!
See you online or in the Carpark on Friday,
Soul Café Team
WHY HELP US?
- In NSW homelessness has increased by 37% since 2011.
- In 2019 Soul Café provided 42,357 meals and food care packages to vulnerable people in Newcastle (up 34% since 2017).
- Our Guests accessed services at Soul Café (including doctors, hairdressers, legal aid and many more) 2,496 times in 2019 (up 22% since 2017).
- Soul Café was born and bred in Newcastle. We are non-government funded and rely solely on the support of our incredible volunteers and local donations to keep our doors open.