UPDATE AS AT MARCH 2020 - We have suspended volunteer recruitment for now however if you have specific skills that you believe would be of value to us during this time please email email@example.com with your details and availability.
Many thanks for your understanding.
Soul Cafe thrives on the involvement of keen, enthusiastic and generous volunteers. If you or your work mates, friends or family would like to join our community of volunteers we would love to hear from you!
STEPS TO BECOME A VOLUNTEER
- Click on the 'Volunteer Application' button below and complete.
- Once we have received your application we will contact you for a Trial Shift. This is to experience volunteering at Soul.
- At your trial shift you will participate in an induction and be provided information about being on team.
- At the end of your trial shift you can discuss with the Kitchen Manager or Team Leader availability for ongoing rostering.
- You will receive an email confirming your roster and providing you information about connecting to our rostering app 'Deputy'. It is through 'Deputy' that you will receive your ongoing shift notifications.
SHIFT TIMES & FREQUENCY
Weekday Breakfast shifts - Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
This is a weekly roster from 7.00am to 9.00am (service from 7.30am – 8.30am)
Saturday Breakfast Shift
This is a 3 week rotating roster from 7.00am to 9.00am (service from 7.30am – 8.30am)
Lunch shifts Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays
This is a weekly roster 9am to 2pm (or an agreed time with the Kitchen Manager).
This is a 4 week rotating roster 11:15am - 2pm - Service (12md - 1pm)
TYPES OF VOLUNTEERING
Aside from meal preparation there are other areas you might like to volunteer.
If you have experience in helping those with social challenges then maybe the floor team is for you. Talking to guests and helping them to have social connection and to find support services.
Volunteer opportunities are also available on event, administration and fundraising teams.
If you are involved in a business or service that would be beneficial to Soul Cafe guests such as health, welfare, employment services please also contact our office to discuss any partnership opportunities.
To sign up as a volunteer please fill out the volunteer application form and email this to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail the form to PO Box 686, Newcastle NSW 2300 or drop it in to Soul Cafe at 2nd Floor, Cnr Hunter & Watt Street, Newcastle 2300.
To be a volunteer with Soul Cafe we request that you obtain an active Working With Children Check, which can be obtained at your local Service NSW centre. More instructions on how to obtain this check is available in the link below:
It is a great thing when students want to help with making a difference for people who are in need. However, the challenge for Soul Cafe when it comes to having students in the cafe is that the people we help have very significant mental health, drug and alcohol and other social issues. For this reason, we have guidelines around the age of persons who can volunteer at the cafe:
1. If a student is 16 - 17 years they can volunteer on weekend or breakfast shifts providing they have parental permission and an interview with our Kitchen Manager required prior to being accepted as a Soul Cafe Student Volunteer.
2. If a school approaches us about a student on a school program we require a letter from the school about their program and insurance coverage. An interview with our Kitchen Manager is required prior to being accepted as a Soul Cafe Student Volunteer.
Soul Cafe serves Christmas Lunch to our guests over three separate sittings on Monday, 21 December 2020. This event is overseen by volunteers who have been volunteering at Soul throughout the year.
If you would like to give back to your community by volunteering on Christmas Day, you may be interested in registering to be a Samaritans Christmas Volunteer. They accept registrations online. Samaritans Online Volunteer Registration